Friday, June 13, 2008

Strength training philosophy - Damon in 2008

I've been working through a specific strength program that I wanted to share with the members of SB and with blog. Its not overly complex or detailed and the design draws upon influences in my strength training practice over the past two years that I acknowledge as Shawn Phillips, Charles Poliquin, Paul Chek, CrossFit, Zach Even-esh, Mark Twight (GymJones) and Charles Staley.

The basic philosophy of the sequence is to develop a constant progression in either reps or weight including big compound strength training movements. Each session is no more than 20 minutes in duration and is structured around a heavy compound movement supersetted with one or two other exercises that complements the compound movement. I started this program by determining what was my 5 rep max for the heavy compound movement and at the next session increased the weight but reduced the rep count to 3. The progression at the next two sessions is at the same weight but to increase the rep count to 4 then 5 before then making a progression in weight again and dropping the rep count to 3 again.

I have structured the sessions around 3 set different sequences that I complete once each week being:

Session 1
3 - 5 Deadlifts +
5 Pull Ups +
5 Ring Dips
Every 2 minutes for 10 rounds

Session 2
3 - 5 Squats +
5 Incline dumbbell bench press +
5 One Arm dumbbell row (each hand)
Every 3 minutes for 6 rounds

Session 3
3 - 5 Barbell Clean and Press +
5 Hanging Knees-to-elbows
Every 3 minutes for 6 rounds

For example, in the case of the deadlift in Session 1, I began at a weight of 130kg for 5 reps which at the time was my max for this sequence and then increased the weight to 140kg and reduced the rep count to 3 at the next sequence. I have been through the 140kg and now I am at progression of 150kg for 5 reps. I have made similar progressions in the squat (start at 110kg now at 130kg) and clean and press (start at 55kg now at 65kg) although this gain is bringing me back to where, in a relative sense, I was at the start of the year rather than breaking through any max strength limits. The real test in the program as a campaign will be in measuring the strength and conditioning improvements over time and reflecting if I am closer towards that goals I have set at the start of the year.

To round out the program I have been combining this program with the Sweating Blood boot camp sessions twice a week, CardioCoach spin sessions (I strongly recommend these as a dynamic and effective workout) at least once per week but aim for three, and short programs of yoga practice including handbalancing.

Ill use this post to record my progression with this strength program and post comments as it is relevant. Any comments from the blog readers and advice is welcome and encouaged to assist me along this path of strength training.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Looks like a very effective regimen and it sounds like you are already making some terrific strength gains.

I have been working on a similar methodology without a planned progression (I guess it's a bit more immature at the moment).

Session 1 is 150% DL and 5kg chinups each for 10 reps x 5 sets

Session 2 is BW back squat and 20kg seated dumbell press for 10 reps x 5 sets

Session 3 is C&J (split) and SDLHP with 40kg bar for 8 reps x 5 sets

Next session 3 going to modify the C&J to be 1 clean followed by 1 split jerk leading with left leg then with the right, return bar to floor and repeat for 5 reps. I think this will up the efficiency of the session.

Also trying to work in OHS and snatches, neither of which I am comfortable with yet...

Usually round out the sessions with some other freeform work such as man-makers, kb snatches, pushups, focus on a particular muscle group like triceps or row like a maniac for a few minutes.

I find with this sort of program not only do I sweat like anything but start to see fatigue points in different areas (including mental). Recognise there needs to be set progressions to avoid stagnation or wussing out!

Definitely good mixing it up with the boot camps.