Friday, November 9, 2007

2 week Mass and Strength Building Program

No boot camp for three weeks as I work through this program with Stef. Ill start posting daily reflections in the comments as I work through this

Day 1 AM
A1) Back Squat, 5 x 4-6, 40X0* tempo, rest 100 seconds
* That's four seconds down, no pause, explode up, no pause, then repeat for the next rep.
A2) Leg Extension (I will probably find a replacement such as straight leg deadlift or sissy squat), 5 x 4-6, 5 x 4-6, 40X0 tempo, rest 100 seconds
Note: Those A1/A2 designations mean to perform one set of squats, rest, perform one set of leg curls, rest, and repeat until you get five sets. Then move to the "B" exercises.
B1) Barbell Rows 5 x 8, 4010 tempo, rest 100 seconds
B2) Dips 5 x 8, 4010 tempo, rest 100 seconds

Day 1 PM
A) Snatch Deadlift on platform, 10 x 6, 5010 tempo, resting 3 minutes between sets
B1) Seated Dumbbell Press, palms facing each other (semi-supinated), 5 x 6-8, 4010 tempo, rest 100 seconds
B2) One-Arm Dumbbell Rows, 5 x 6-8, 2011 tempo, rest 100 seconds

Day 2
A1) Front Squats, 5 x 4-6, 40X0 tempo, rest 100 seconds
A2) Dumbell Lunge 5 x 4-6, 40X0 tempo, rest 100 seconds
B1) Close-Grip Pronated Pull-ups, 5 x 6-8, 3011 tempo, rest 100 seconds
B2) Incline Dumbbell Press 5 x 6-8, 3110 tempo, rest 100 seconds
Rest 2-3 Days before repeating Day 1


Crucial Points
• Each set goes balls to the walls!
• Not counting warm-ups, take each set to concentric failure. In other words, don't do a set of 8 with a weight you can rep to 15. Do sets of 8 with a weight you can only lift 8 times.
• If you have to decrease the weight every set to get the required number of reps, decrease the weight by no more than 5%.
• If you choose your own exercises, remember that all the movements you use have to be "most bang for your buck" exercises. Every exercise should involve at least two joints or more. No dumbbell flyes, kickbacks, or other Men's Healthexercises done with pursed lips.
• Don't worry about direct arm work. You'll gain plenty of arm size without direct biceps and triceps work during this program if you choose to use dips, chins, and presses.
• Now, if you want to use different exercises — heals-elevated squats, front squats the next day, zercher squat, etc. — that doesn't matter.

3 comments:

Damon said...

Day 5 -

I am absolutely shattered at the moment after only 5 days of this training. For some reason I am struggling more with this round than the last time I did the sequence in June.

My limbs ache, my back is sore in two places where I have slight injuries, and im just fn tired.

But I woke this morning, did the Day 1 sequence and got through it. It something about being exhausted, finding the energy and intensity to keep going in those states that is probably the most important aspect of this sequence.

Im a long way from finishing (1/3rd of the way through) I just have to approach each moment over the next couple of weeks and not get too overwelmed by whats ahead of me.

Damon said...

Day 6

1/2 way....My mood from yesterday has deteriorated. Deadlift program yesterday droped my weight to 90kg from 110kg at the start.

Just very tired. Day off tomorrow, some good sleep and hopefully ill be ready to engage the same next week.

Damon said...

Day 8

Yesterday was a rest day but the soreness kicked in late afternoon. Did the day 1 sequence this morning and surprised that my squat weight went up to 130kg from 120kg at the start.

My mood is a little edgy this morning and I have to watch it doesn't deteriorate. This was a similar experience from last time as I went further into the program. Deadlifts this afternoon, will do my best to increase the weights there as well.